Your cart
Total: $0.00
Lifetime Video Access Lifetime
Video Access
30 Days Money Back Guarantee

BJJ Instructional Videos
John Danaher Leglocks
John Danaher Back Attacks BJJ
Half Guard BJJ Instructional Video

The Secret to Getting Good at Jiu Jitsu



They say that 3% of the population is naturally gifted and can get good at jiu jitsu very quickly and use those skills to win tournaments and be awesome.  The other 97% aren’t so lucky and have to work to get there.  There is however a special secret to getting good at jiu jitsu: mat time.  Specifically consistently putting in hours on the mat, and making the choice to focus on training.

Talent and hard work will often beat hard work alone, but hard work is hard to do and most talented people aren’t able to put in the time to really become extraordinary.  The beauty of jiu jitsu is that if you put that time in you can become talented even if you are not naturally inclined to BE talented.

When I first started training seriously to compete, I was frustrated because I found that people who had been training less time cumulatively than me were already much better than me.  Then I learned this secret to getting good.

Not everyone is able to use this information, if you have a family or a busy personal life you may be limited.  But if you have time or are able to make time, add one hour of training per week per month.  That is to say: every month increase your weekly hours by one hour, until you can no longer add to it.

Be careful to not burn yourself out.  Possibly vary your training methodology, maybe stick with drilling, and limit how much you roll hard, but remember the more time you spend on the mat, the better you will become.  Jiu jitsu is ultimately a numbers game: those who spend the most time on the mat tend to be the best practitioners.


Our Insiders Club is by far the fastest way to level up your game. Take a deep dive on one specific skill per month with the top instructors in the BJJ Fanatics family.

How much is it worth to get private lessons from Benardo Faria, the Ruotolo brothers, Giancarlo Bodoni, Jeff Glover, Neil Melanson, Marcos Tinoco… and the list goes on and on?! Forget it, don’t answer that - because you get all of these guys and more, for just $9.99 a month!

With your subscription you’ll get a Private Lesson (Masterclass), At Home Drills to work on, rolling breakdowns and more. You’ll also get a sneak peek at our upcoming Product Launch and Daily Deal schedules plus access to Daily Deals on BJJ gear and merchandise (up to 80% off). And much much more!

Just $9.99/month

Learn More Here

Half Domination by Tom DeBlass DVD Cover
Catch Wrestling Formula by Neil Melanson
Butterfly Guard Re-Discovered Adam Wardzinski DVD Wrap
Judo Academy Jimmy Pedro Travis Stevens