You Can Never Be Too Safe
You Are Responsible for Your Safety
Recently, the area around my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy in Ohio has had a rash of high profile violent assaults happen at various local parks on or near bike and walking trails. The current police stance regarding the case is that it could be one single perpetrator assaulting the women at the various locations, rather than a series of coincidental occurrences. This notion of a serial predator could mean that this man is essentially planning and studying his locations and his victims.
There are a number of simple things that you can begin doing right now to help decrease the chances of being assaulted. By simply adopting these behaviors, you will greatly reduce your chances of being harmed. But these are not absolutes that will guarantee your safety. There is always more you can be doing.
Empower yourself to be prepared for the worst! Click Learn More Now!
1) Try not to walk/run/bike on trails in and around wooded areas alone if at all possible. Bringing a friend will decrease the likelihood of you falling prey to a predator. This can also make your walk/bike ride more enjoyable.
2) Avoid trails and parks that are extremely desolate or isolated. If the parking lot of the trail is completely empty, it's advisable to find somewhere busier where there are people around.
3) Avoid using headphones if you can. These could muffle the sound of someone approaching and those precious seconds could mean life and death.
4) Wear brightly colored clothing or special gear to make yourself more visible.
5) Make sure that your friends/family know where you are and when to expect you to return. There are even new apps for your phone that can help with this process.
6) Shake up your routine. Don't take the same trails all the time. Don't run/walk/bike at the exact same time every day. In the case of the situation near our academy, it's highly likely that the perpetrator has studied the area.
There is always more you can be doing to stay safe. Click Learn More below!
What Else Are You Doing to Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can be one of the most valuable investments you can make in your life, your health and especially your safety. The foundation of BJJ is self defense and being able to protect yourself against a larger, stronger bodies. Sadly the statistics show that typically someone who falls victim to violent attack such as our area has been seeing in the news is usually smaller in stature or weaker than the perpetrator.
Follow those simple rules listed above and empower yourself with some BJJ classes. Find a local, reputable school and schedule a trial class. You will not be disappointed. And while you're learning life-saving skills and techniques, you will also get in better shape, build your confidence and gain a whole crew of new friends for life!
Another great way to learn life-saving personal protection skills is to take advantage of the resources available at BJJ Fanatics. Beyond Krav Maga by Aaron Jannetti is a great place to start! Get it here today!